Haz Mat “Operational”
First responders at the “Operational” level are individuals who respond to releases or potential releases of hazardous substances as part of the initial response to the site for the purpose of protecting life, environment and property from the effects of the release.
They are trained to respond in a defensive fashion without actually trying to stop the release. Their function is to contain the release from a safe distance without contacting the chemical. They are trained to keep the chemical from spreading and to prevent exposures.
First responders at the operational level shall have received training and have sufficient experience to objectively demonstrate competency in the following areas in addition to those listed for the Awareness level:
- Knowledge of the basic hazard and risk-assessment techniques.
- Know how to select and use proper personal protective equipment (PPE/CPC) provided to the first-responder operational level.
- Have an understanding of basic hazardous-materials terms.
- Knowledge of chemicals hazards, toxicology, markings, labels and placards.
- Know how to perform basic control, containment and/or confinement operations within the capabilities of the resources and personal protective equipment (PPE/CPC) available.
- Know how to implement basic decontamination procedures.
- Have an understanding of the relevant standard operating procedures and termination procedures.
- Working knowledge of your on-site emergency plan.
- Work within an established ICS.
- Knowledge of local, state and federal regulations.
- 24 hours (minimal Fed OSHA standard is 8 hours and is appropriate for certain companies based on the complexity and risk potential of your facility).
Cost 8 hour format
- 1-12 students $2515.00
- 13-20 students $3770.00
- Plus $18.00 per student for booklets
Individual $270.00, includes booklets (when attending our Public enrollment class)
Cost 24 hour format
- 1-12 students $4998.00
- 13-20 students $7460.00
- Plus $28.00 per student for binder/booklets
Individual $575.00, includes booklets (when attending our Public enrollment class)
- Full-colored framed wall certificate and laminated wallet card good for one year